Monday, September 27, 2010

Concussion Update 9-27-10

Dan and I saw Dr. Leddy this morning, the concussion research doctor. Although there is no cure for Post Concussion Syndrome (PCS), he does give us hope and is willing to work with us in a caring way. We are so fortunate that he lives in Buffalo and does his research here, because he is very interested and invested in me being able to be a part of his treatment plan.


Once again this month I had 12 migraines. This number has been consistent throughout the 17 months that I have had PCS. It ends up being on average 3 a week. The migraines are preventing me from the treadmill treatment that Dr. Leddy's research study prescribes.


The results from my endoscopy came in yesterday. The biopsies were negative – yeay! Dr. Leddy seems pretty confident that the gastritis (inflammation) they found in my GI tract is from the migraine medication I've been taking for the last 17 months. We are going to switch from Treximet (which has Naproxen in it) to Maxalt. Maxalt is another type of migraine medication that I can take when I start getting a migraine to help it go away, but it doesn't have Naproxen in it, so it should be easier on my stomach.


I had been trying for a few months to come off a daily medication I was on called Amitriptyline. It was prescribed to me in the beginning of all this to help with sleep, headaches, and pain. We are not sure if it has ever worked at all, because my sleep hasn't been restful or consistent since the head injury. I stopped it 11 days ago, but the withdrawal from it is very difficult.


The symptoms from the withdrawal include: allergy-type symptoms, stomach issues, paranoia, hot and cold, and just a general poor feeling. They said it should take 3-4 weeks for it to fully come out of my system and I just have to tough it out during this time. It's pretty horrible, but when it's done, we'll be able to reevaluate how I feel. Fatigue is a side effect from the Amitriptyline, so without it I may become more clear and sharp. Let's hope and pray that my health might improve without the drug in my system.


Thank you again for all your support. Dan and I continue our journey toward humility, and you have all made it so much easier to get there. We have gotten meals from some of you, we have had our house cleaned, we have gotten cards, and there has been a great general response of love and support. We know it's been a long time that I've been sick and it speaks volumes of your love and endurance that you have stuck by us and continue to help us through this.


We continue to appreciate any help that people are willing to give. It's been easier since the kids started school, so they are in good shape. Meals are always appreciated, and just knowing that you are interested in what's going on and are here for us means the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment